Thursday, May 31

Just to be sure - make it three!

Flashback: After office, five of us headed to Figaro for coffee and snacks. We were checking out the newly purchased cellphone of a colleague plus and feasted on badminton gossip (plus the pasta and cakes, of course!). I vaguely recall who asked who's cellphone number but the alaskahan went on like this: "Glenn, ano ba spelling ng name mo? Isang n ba o dalawa?" as I was tinkering on my address book to add his name. And before Glenn could answer, Ruby sarcastically said, "Gawin na lang kaya nating tatlo yung n para sigurado." Tawang-tawa ako sa punchline ni Ruby! So, the entry on my phonebook - Glennn. Just to be sure.

Fast forward: One afternoon at the badminton court, I was sitting in the match control table, waiting for my turn to play as I already queued for the next game. The queueing system that time was writing down your name, plus the rest of the quorum. So, while waiting for my turn, I was cheerfully heckling the people who were playing that time - heckle here, heckle there. And then, someone approached the match control. A tall-balding (hindi bading ha, balding)-foreign male specie. Sabi ko, "Naku, mukhang serious player ito a." He got the pencil and started to write his name on the queue paper. Since I didn't know him, I just continued watching the players. He started writing, D-e-n-n, then erased one n, and then, he paused. With his head bent down, he asked to no one in particular, "How do you spell Dennis' name? Is it just one n or two n?" I gleefully replied, "Hmmmm (kunwari malalim ang iniisip)... you know what, just to be sure - make it three!" And he looked up to me. His face expressionless. I had no way of telling if he got my punchline or was pissed off. Oh well. Dalawang "n" na nga baka mahampas pa ako ng raketa.

No comments: